PERFECTLY PAIRED WITH MURATIE MARTIN MELCK CABERNET SAUVIGNON
Marinated Beef Pot Roast
1kg of bolo, aitchbone or topside
110g bacon cut in 5mm pieces
150ml beer of your choice
50ml canola oil
1 tablespoon (15ml) honey
4 whole peppercorns
2 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons (10ml) salt
1 tablespoon (15ml) canola oil
2 onions, cut into slices
2 carrots, grated
1 tablespoon (15ml) cake flour
1. Use your larding needle to lard your beef.
2. Mix the beer, 50ml oil, honey, pepper, cloves and bay leaves together in a big glass casserole. Place the beef in the casserole and marinade it for 12 – 24 hours whilst turning regularly.
3. Remove the beef from the marinade but keep the marinade aside. Dry the meat with paper towel. Season with salt by rubbing it into the meat.
4. Heat the oil in a heavy-duty saucepan and brown the meat thoroughly on all sides. Add the onions and grated carrots to the pot.
5. Heat the marinade and add to the meat.
6. Heat to boiling point and then lower the temperature and simmer until the meat is soft. Approximately 1,5 – 2 hours. Turn the meat once or twice during this process.
7. Remove the meat from the pot and reduce the remaining sauce by half. Mix the flour with some water until smooth and add to the sauce. Gently simmer for a few minutes.
8. Place the meat back into the sauce until it is warm.
9. Serve your pot roast with roast potatoes and vegetables
Enjoy with a bottle of Martin Melck Cabernet Sauvignon