The 2022 vintage exceeds all expectations for South Africa’s best-selling cultivar. Sauvignon Blanc South Africa has announced the 20 finalists in the 2022 FNB Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 competition – and no less than thirteen of the final contenders are from the 2022 vintage.
This year’s top 20 wines hail from diverse wine regions, which once again confirms innovation and diversity in the style and origin of Sauvignon Blanc in South Africa. Many regions boast more than one finalist.
A total of 102 producers entered 161 wines for this competition, which since 2007 is the only South African competition dedicated exclusively to Sauvignon Blanc. It is presented with the support of Top 10 title partner FNB and platinum partner EVER Solutions.
The top 20 finalists (in alphabetical order) are:
· Bon Courage The Gooseberry Bush Sauvignon Blanc 2022
· Bonnievale The River Collection Sauvignon Blanc 2022
· Cilmor Winemaker’s Selection Sauvignon Blanc 2021
· De Grendel Sauvignon Blanc 2022
· Diemersdal Sauvignon Blanc Reserve 2022
· Durbanville Hills Collectors Reserve The Cape Mist Sauvignon Blanc 2019
· Ghost Corner Wild Ferment Sauvignon Blanc 2021
· Groot Constantia Sauvignon Blanc 2022
· Groote Post Seasalter Sauvignon Blanc 2022
· Iona Elgin Highlands Sauvignon Blanc 2022
· Kleine Zalze Vineyard Selection Sauvignon Blanc 2022
· KWV Cathedral Cellar Sauvignon Blanc 2020
· La Motte Pierneef Sauvignon Blanc 2021
· Nitida Wild Child 2022
· Paul Clüver Village Sauvignon Blanc 2022
· Spier 21 Gables Sauvignon Blanc 2021
· Strandveld Pofadderbos Sauvignon Blanc 2022
· Zevenwacht 7EVEN Sauvignon Blanc 2022
· Zevenwacht Sauvignon Blanc 2022
· Zevenwacht Z Collection Sauvignon Blanc 2021
A panel of leading wine experts judged this year’s competition with Cape Wine Master Dr Winifred Bowman as convener. Along with Dr Bowman on the panel were wine judge and author Fiona McDonald, Johann Fourie, head winemaker of Benguela Cove, winemaker Morgan Steyn of De Grendel, Cape Wine Master René Groenewald, and protégé judge Mahalia Kotjane, assistant winemaker of Lievland.
Do not miss the Top 10 announcement
The Top 10 will be announced on Thursday 13 October 2022 during the FNB Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 Awards at FNB Portside as well as on the website http://www.sauvignonblanc.com and on social media. Follow Sauvignon Blanc SA on Twitter @SauvignonSA, on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn @sauvignonblancsa, and join the conversation with #FNBSauvignonBlancSATop10.
Local and international
Sauvignon Blanc SA promotes South African Sauvignon Blanc locally and internationally. A technical seminar will be held on Wednesday 30 November 2022 in collaboration with the Department of Viticulture and Oenology at Stellenbosch University. The Concours Mondial du Sauvignon, the biggest and most significant international competition dedicated to Sauvignon Blanc, will be held outside of Europe for the first time in its 14-year history, hosted by Sauvignon Blanc SA in Franschhoek from 13 to 17 March 2023.
For more information about membership, or to subscribe to the Sauvignon Blanc SA newsletter, visit http://www.sauvignonblanc.com or call 021 975 4440.